Monday, January 6, 2014

Saturday with the Meinckes (+Guacamole Recipe)


This weekend my body decided it needed a break, so it came down with a cold.  Although I hate being sick, having a darn good reason to sit on the couch and watch football all day without feeling guilty is nice every now and then.  And that's what I did.

Picture that my husband Instagrammed Saturday afternoon...yes, that is TWO football games at the same time. Do I get some wife points for that one?
Football around here is kind of a big deal, especially if the Georgia Bulldogs are playing.  Alan and I both graduated from the University of Georgia for both our undergraduate and graduate degrees.  We bleed red and black.  Although this season was a little rough for our Dawgs, we still enjoy the game and love watching college football on TV.


I did choose to do something productive on Saturday and made guacamole and salsa.  These two dips are a staple in this household, especially during football.  I adapted my guacamole recipe from a friend of mine's and sort of duplicated it with the salsa recipe (minus the avocados, of course).


I usually start with two avocados for just Alan and me to eat, but double or even triple the recipe if I am making it for a crowd.  You can also adjust the seasonings according to your taste (more cumin if you want a more earthy taste, more cayenne or crushed red pepper for more heat, more garlic powder for more...well, garlicy flavor).  I choose to de-seed the jalapeño, but if you like it real spicy, leave them in!  Just make sure you warn your guests =).



Homemade Chunky Guacamole (serves 2)

2 avocados
1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 onion, diced
2 Tbsp diced cilantro
1/2 jalapeño, de-seeded
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1/2 of a lime)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

1. Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the soft inside into a bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine.  The more you stir, the less chunky it becomes, so stir to your desired texture preference.

Grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and enjoy!

(P.S. - I'll post the salsa recipe in a later blog post.)

From my kitchen...

1 comment:

  1. YUM...now I have your guac recipe too! If it's anything like the salsa then count me in.

    ReplyDelete